Friday, March 28, 2008

March 28th One Month In

Enjoying my favourite coffee at the local Starbucks I watch the Mormon boys walks by. On this warm and cloudy afternoon all is well in Yi-lan. In this two story store I can sit and watch people roll by on bikes, scooters and in cars. English music plays through out the store and everything is the same as home except I have no idea what people are saying in their conversations around me. I will say, without shame, I love this corporate store.

An interesting weekend lies ahead. Tomorrow there is a going away party for a foreigner that I have never met. No doubt it will be fun if the rain holds. BBQ, frisbee and some beer on the beach is the perfect cure to a hectic week. Lots of people will be surfing, which am I excited to try. Sunday my friend Johan and I will try and spot monkeys in a starfruit orchard about 30 minutes from my house. A Canadian names Jessie told me about this sweet spot to view these creatures. So far, I have only seen sedated monkeys in the Taipei zoo. Monday, I may or may not go to a Taiwanese wedding. I have been invited by the nice family that I wrote about previously. The groom is 18 and is a cousin of Ellie's. I heard from my friend Amy that the food is served in endless courses and is delicious. I'm hesitant to go as I'm not sure what to wear. I know, not matter what, I will standout, I would just like to look good doing it!

Last night I was invited to a language exchange. I was quite fascinated by it and will look forward to the weekly meetings. Three Taiwanese people, Amy and myself spent a couple of hours talking. Everyone switches from Mandarin (except me) to English and vis versa, each asking the other questions about their native language. I am well behind the others who are learning their second or third language. It seems to be an effective way to learn, its free and everyone is funny and sweet. I discovered a lot about English while trying to answer some of their questions. Some humorous things definitely come up, especially when discussing slang.

I am REALLY anxious to get a computer so I can hop on skype, iChat and to finally post some pictures!!! I think about home often and hope that everyone is happy, healthy and knows that I love them.

Everything here seems so dramatic. For example, on a bad days its like, why am I on the other side of the earth, why can't my phone except international calls and when will I know enough Mandarin to order the food that I actually want. On good days its the same amount of emotion but with different feelings. Like, I LOVE Taiwan, can't wait to learn Mandarin, pay off my debts and keep exploring this amazing country. Both take a lot of energy, so I have to exercise, eat well and get a lot of sleep.

As for my job, I enjoy being a teacher and most of my students. Everyday I learn how to be a better teacher. There are some very frustrating things about my school but I will not write about them here. Most of the people I have talked to have a very tough time at the start, then figure out how to appease the administration. I think I am doing pretty well, all things considered. Taiwan is a roller coaster. I know though that I have many opportunities here that I wouldn't have in Kingston or Toronto. I feel like I am truly in the school of life and am glad to be learning so much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment